Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Phone Call

A strange thing happened to me yesterday morning. I got a phone call from a man I hadn't talked to in 7 years. An ex boyfriend actually. A little history...

After being single for a couple years, I met Al. He's this big Hawaiian guy, generous and shy. We dated for about 5 months, I think... but I knew he didn't want more children and most likely wouldn't marry me. We stopped it, and it ended very friendly. This was the first breakup that I had ever had that was so friendly. I still cared for him, but I was being smart.

I soon met My husband. I still talked to Al a little when Lane and I were first talking. Al was suddenly heart broken. I was shocked, but smitten by Lane. Anyway.. Lane and I got serious and I never talked to Al again. The last thing he said to was, "If he hurts you, I'll come after him!" If you know any Polynesians, this is not just talk either. Al didn't know the incredible person my Lane is.

Well.. after catching up on how many children I have and work, etc.. the topic turned to religion. He said he has a Samoan friend who is a member of the church who wants him to go with him. Al is a member, but has been inactive since he was a 17. I was able to do a little missionary work with him, which was really cool. He said he wanted to make sure I was OK. He said he'd never call me again.

After this conversation... I sat back and thought about it all. I was able to sort of see what my life would be like if I would have stayed with Al. I would not have my two youngest darlings, I would probably be working out of the home.. and maybe not going to church.. who knows.. but what I really thought was interesting was that I wouldn't have the knowledge I have now. I would still be thinking in old Rebekah, sheep Rebekah, not the new free thinking positive Rebekah that I have grown into. So it was interesting to look at the contrast, and not that I needed to know if I made the right choice, but to see how much I have grown as a person.

I wish Al all the happiness in the world... I only wish he could feel the joy I feel everyday! I am so blessed!

No comments: