Saturday, October 17, 2009

Appalachia

I believe in the guidance of my ancestors. These amazing people who came before me, paved a way that has lead me to where I am. I feel I owe them not only acknowledgement, but their sacred work to be done. Right now my 12 year old is at the temple doing their baptisms by proxy. I feel very aware of this work recently. I feel that these ancestors are truly with me. The more I learn about them the more I feel closer to them. I have been researching a novel I am writing loosely based on the lives of some of my ancestors. Very loosely based, let's say they are my inspiration. The book will take place in pre-Civil War, and on through out the war and during the reconstruction. My ancestors are from Appalachian counties on the Virginia Kentucky border. I have dived into researching the Civil War, and this area of the Appalachians. I am heart sick that I never asked my dad about his first 13 years of his life. His family left Virginia to Wyoming when he was 13. I have been able to learn alot though. I learned that I was taught lies in school about the Civil War. What's interesting to me is how this knowledge has come at this time and educational level of my life. A time that has flowed a new higher light. I don't feel ashamed to be a great great grandaughter of the Confederacy. My gg grandfather was not a slave owner, but a believer in State rights. Well, this is my hope. I can only assume this hard working father of 12 had the same love of his country and Constitution. That he beleived like his fellow Virginian, Thomas Jefferson, that "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God". I can only assume I got this ferver for Liberty from my ancestors. In my research I have read many books. One that I finished was called "The United States of Appalachia". This book was perfect for me. The author wrote about my kins area, from the first Scotch/Irish settlers the Washingtonians to the poor coal miners. These amazing people who struggled with so much dignity. History rich with great classical education, folk music and art. Knowing my ancestors, I know myself. This is why I feel so connected to the earth, why I feel so passionate about my liberties, why I love a good fiddle song, a meloncholy ballad, why I ache to be "mountain" people. This beautiful country that I feel so connected to I have never set foot upon. I hope to go there in the future and continue my research for my book, but more importanly my ancestors. And so now I think of myself and my future generations. I think of the great work I have to do for them as well. I wonder... did my ancestors think of me? I think so.

No comments: